Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lion Hunt - Leeuwbosch Lodge Day2

July 23, 2010
After a nice rest, we had our knock on the door at 7:00am. We got to sleep in a little for the lion hunt which was very nice. We did not have to be in the field very early as the temperature needed to be a little warmer. We had our coffee and a little breakfast (continental). It was another beautiful day.... these days remind me of our days of fall and or winter, cold mornings, warm afternoons, cold evenings. Not a cloud in the sky, and no humidity.... L.B.'s favorite days!!!! Not too Hot or Not too Cold.... Just perfect! Perfect would be the best way to describe this trip so far! We did not know how perfect this hunt for the male lion was going to be.... we did not know what was ahead or what was to come, but I felt more confidence after having one hunt under my belt. I just expected the same kind of hunt as before..... I thought we will shoot the male lion and have a little lunch and be gone at noon. So with that kind of confidence, we loaded the truck with all the same paraphelnalia to take off for Lion Hunt ....... take 2! We( the same group as yesterday) drove the same sandy roads that had been smoothed the night before with a large tractor tire. We drove east and west, north and south on the 10,000 acres and nothing. We checked the open field(the main watering hole) where the animals come out to drink. We put some meat around a tree in 2 plces and the animals, especially the lion had not touched it. The birds had picked on the bait a little. Still No Lion and No Tracks! We drove some more when Tinkling whistled to stop, aha, TRACKS ! Everyone got out of the truck except for Sarah and myself. We waited for the verdict......it was indeed tracks of a lion, but not just any lion, THE MALE LION..... the lion that would eventually become Hill's trophy. The truck was soon emptied with the exception of me..... I would stay behind. In the same form all of those that left the truck started tracking and stalking the lion. Within about 30 minutes , they were onto the lion..... he was sleeping. He was so camoulflaged, he was so difficult to see. In fact, Jacque did not want Hill to shoot the sleeping lion. Jacque came back to the truck , drove in the brush to try and stir the lion......the LION AWAKES with growling and grunting, get up and walks. While I am left behind( my decision), still thinking this hunt will be over in a few minutes, I wait and I wait and I wait...... for 3.5 hours I wait. It was about 12:00 when I heard the first gun shot, then 3 more. I finally see Tinkling the tracker, what a relief!!! He drives me to where the group was celebrating yet another victory. The lion was enormous weighing around 700 pounds. We all pose for pictures and celebrate with the same excitement as the day before.
We were scheduled to stay in Leeuwbosch until Saturday or Sunday because it was not known that we would be lucky enough to kill 2 lions within 24 hours. We arrived back at our chalet after unloading the lion at the skinning hut. The meat goes to the people in the "shanti town"..... a very poor black area. I have yet to shoot anything as it is hard for me to do, but I do take comfort in knowing that the meat is eaten by all.
We had some lunch, packed our truck, and we were headed back to Hartzview...... home sweet home..... where a wonderful meal was waiting for us along with a toasty fire. Ria and Sally are so good to us, cooking the most wonderful meals!!!! It was an early night for all of us, and for me, my best sleep I have had since I arrived. I am finally settled into Africa! What a beautiful place!
I will close for now..... love to all! Sicily have a wonderful week at camp and don't forget how much I love you and miss you..... God Bless you! You too Paisley Renee!!! Until tomorrow.......
xoxoxoxox, L.B.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Dad and Hill!! Love all the pictures!! What huge animals!! Well, the last 2 days have been very busy getting the girlies ready for camp!! It is a lot to get ready!! We have painted trucks, hot glued gems on Egyptian collars, written names on every article of clothing, toiletry, sheets, addressed and stamped envelopes for, decorated their trunks, and written letters...all for my sweet little girl who is nervous, homesick, and has already shed some tears, but I keep telling her she is going to have a ton of fun and it is only one week. Tonight, Sayie and Mark came over for dinner, we went to Leslie's house so the girls can try on their Egyptian costumes...they are great!! Then came home and added last minute things. Paisley lost her FRONT tooth and yes, the tooth fairy came!! We got he girls into bed and I proceed to go upstairs and check on them...they are in Sicily's room, in their sleeping bags (not to mess up the made bed) and I give them kisses and a camp pep talk and ...Paisley starts crying...I am going to miss my sister which we all know is very true!! Once again, I remind them that it is only one week!! Then, I go downstairs and give myself a pep talk...it is only one week. One Monday, One Tuesday, One Wednesday, One Thursday, One Friday, and finally...we get to pick her up early Saturday morning...you can do this!! Then I start to get weepy!! Tomorrow, our plan is to go to church, then come home get loaded and meet up with Les, Bobo, and all the kiddos and HEAD OUT to TBarM!! I will try texting you all pick from camp!! Thank you for all your letters and surprises...she is going to love them!! Well, until tomorrow!! Love to you all!! E

    ReplyDelete